Planning a Visit
Welcome! We love hosting pilgrims, students, and searchers at The Crossing, whether you're thinking about starting up a service of your own or simply passing through town. We hope you’ll see, hear, taste and experience fresh ways of meeting God, forming authentic Christian community, and joining God’s mission in the world.
We'd be happy to meet with you before or after our worship to talk about our work and answer questions about our community. If you're only bringing a few people, we might even be able to provide places to sleep, depending on the time of year. (It never hurts to ask.) On the other hand, if you're planning to bring more than ten people, please let us know in advance so that we can set up extra chairs and print extra worship sheets.
Finally, as you prepare for your visit, we hope you'll sit with some of the questions below – they're the same questions that we asked when we began our adventure.
- Do you hope to renew a currently-active community, or are you hoping to plant a new community? What are some of the differences between starting a new worship service and planting a community?
- Whom do you expect to gather in community? Is there a demographic you’re hoping to reach by introducing new worship practices or a new service? What are your current relationships with this group?
- How could you develop relationships with the community with whom God is calling you into mission? Where could you meet them and hear their stories?
- Who are your worship planners? Does the group creating worship include people who are in the communities you hope to eventually gather? How could you draw on this outsider wisdom, and begin building a following for (and investment in) your new worship gathering?
And after you visit, we hope you'll ask some of these questions:
- What did you notice in worship at The Crossing?
- In what ways is The Crossing rooted in tradition? In what ways is The Crossing rooted in its local context?
- What was moving to you? What was challenging? When and how did you encounter God?
- How has your experience at The Crossing make you reflect on your own context and mission?
Please let us know how we can pray for you as you discern God’s dream for your congregation. And don't hesitate to contact us for more info.